Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What's in a name?

So I have been contemplating this whole blogging thing for some time now. To blog or not to blog? That was the question...
Obviously, I am a real amateur at this; in fact, it may be more accurate to say, I have no idea what I am doing!
Still I have chosen to press on!
My reasons are quite selfish, or at least, they started that way. Being a stay at home wife and mother can sometimes be a thankless existence and I was searching for an outlet. A way to "interact" with other wives and mothers without actually leaving my home. A little "mental stimulation" if you will.
So the product is this blog.
Then the struggle was, "what to call it?" I wanted it to be something catchy and cool; something that would be easily remembered and draw people in. All of my first 20 or so choices were taken.
During this process, I began some new Bible Studies and was being introduced to new passages, verses, and concepts from the Bible. It was during one of these lessons that I think I found the purpose for my blog.
I have a daughter who is 6, and every day, my heart is heavy for her. I know the challenges I have faced growing up; the self-confidence issues, the never feeling good enough, the feeling like a failure if what I attempted wasn't perfect the first time.
Bare with me...I'm getting to the point, I promise...
I realized that all my life, I have been trying to answer the question, "Who Am I?" One of the reasons I think the question never truly gets answered is two-fold: one, hopefully, I am always changing (at least a little as I learn in life), and two, the question is always changing too. For example, how many times have you asked yourself "who am I" on a really bad or really emotional day? Your answer to yourself would be totally different than on a good day, right?
So anyway, back to my point, during one of these online Bible Studies, it was said (paraphrasing here) that God has called each of us to a purpose. But, because He also made us all unique, no two of us are called to EXACTLY the same purpose.
So rather than comparing myself to other women, or saying I want to be as good a Mom as she is, for example, my new goal is to glean from as many people in as many situations as possible.
Gleaning is defined as
- to gather slowly and laboriously, bit by bit
- to learn, discover, or find out, usually little by little or slowly
So now back to my purpose for this blog. I would like to honestly share with you along this gleaning journey! Hopefully I can glean from you and we can all pay it forward by sharing our experience and knowledge with others!
Let the gleaning begin!

2 comments:

  1. I've often struggled with the same feelings. I like the perspective you have taken on your role as a mother and look forward to reading your gleanings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your blog. I think you are going to do great, and I love the title.

    ReplyDelete