Thursday, September 18, 2014

Feminism and the line it draws {part 2}


What started out 2 days ago as a post about feminism and real world examples, became much too long for one post.  

So in the interest of length, this will become a series and this post, part 2. If you missed Part 1, read it here. Please come back 

and read the remaining parts {i'm not sure right now how many there will be}.  

I welcome your input and real world examples too.

Recently, as I sat around a table talking with some new friends, the subject at the table turned to men's and women's roles in the household. A statement was made similar to this:

Last year the yearbook (at a local Christian school) was a huge problem for me.  When I read the Dreams and Wishes for the senior girls and they all said something like - "marry a Godly man and raise a family," I took action.  I told the principal if he wanted to keep me and my family at his school, that wasn't the way to do it.  I don't want my daughter to learn about Biblical submissiveness and think she can't be something other than a wife and mother.

Whoa!

I have paraphrased and considerably cut down what was said on this subject but those were the highlights.
I have to tell you I was alarmed.

At first, because I was afraid words would come spewing out of my mouth without prior consent.
Second, because I felt I must say something, but wanted to choose my words wisely.

Does this bother anyone else?
On one hand, I can understand why this mother was alarmed.  I didn't see the yearbook in question but if so many of the female senior comments were the same that she thought it was a brain-washing, I do agree that it's problematic.

Probably not for the same reasons she does.

On the other hand, I want my daughter to learn at an early age that God created Man and Woman.  He created us differently with a purpose and we can never be "equal".  "Equal" means "the same" and God did not create us "the same." I'd even go as far as to say we shouldn't want to be equal to men.

Do I think it's wrong that a man doing the exact same job as a woman likely gets paid more, simply because he's male? 
Absolutely!

Does it bother me that positions that were typically male when I was growing up {i.e. school principal}, are now predominantly female {at least in these parts}? 
The answer would be "yes!" again.

Does that make me anti-woman? 
Not at all.


Our society teaches us that we need to fight for our rights.
The Bible teaches us that we all have equal access to the Spirit through Christ regardless of gender, race, or socio-economic status {Gal 3:28}.




There is so much I could say about feminism and what the Bible says about it.  It is certainly intertwined with the Biblical term "submission;" a term so often taken out of context and a source of argument.

I tend to agree with this view on the matter:
Submission is a natural response to loving leadership. When a husband loves his wife as Christ loves the church (Ephesians 5:25-33), then submission is a natural response from a wife to her husband. The Greek word translated “submit,” hupotasso, is the continuing form of the verb. This means that submitting to God, the government, or a husband is not a one-time act. It is a continual attitude, which becomes a pattern of behavior. The submission talked about inEphesians 5is not a one-sided subjection of a believer to a selfish, domineering person. Biblical submission is designed to be between two Spirit-filled believers who are mutually yielded to each other and to God. Submission is a two-way street. Submission is a position of honor and completeness. When a wife is loved as the church is loved by Christ, submission is not difficult.Ephesians 5:24says, “Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.” This verse is saying that the wife is to submit to her husband in everything that is right and lawful. Therefore, the wife is under no obligation to disobey the law or God in the name of submission.


I think were our society more apt to do everything out of love {as Christ loved the church}, there would be less conflict, in general, but especially between men and women. 



Ladies: the world has lied to us.

The world would have us believe that because men have higher paying jobs, for example, we as women are substandard citizens.

The world would have us believe that as women we can do everything we want in life for ourselves; who needs men?

The world would have us believe that being female equals being weak.

The world would have us say, "we can do everything they can do better," and "why shouldn't men try harder to be like us? That would sure make life easier!"

Do you see how the feminist argument is ambiguous? 
Creating a double standard is never the pathway to a resolution.

What do you think?
Stay tuned for Part 3...

Further reading and source list for this series (other than previously noted):
https://bible.org/article/ten-lies-feminism
Jesus was a feminist...
Matt Walsh on feminism...




No comments:

Post a Comment